I know it's been forever since my last post, and I truely was going to put up pictures this time. I just downloaded all of the pictures on my camera and organized them. There were upwards of 2000 pics and I've been working on this for almost an hour. So, you will just have to wait. But in the meantime....
I love almost every aspect of being in AZ. It's warm, sunny. The people are great. My classes are super interesting and I have a good mix of easy and challenging classes. Pistachio is happier than ever. I just really hate my apartment. I did not realize how much of a rip off this place is until I got here. My friend pays less than have of what I do for a two bedroom triplex. I'm in a dinky little studio apartment. I'm so sick of my bedroom, kitchen, living room and dining room being the same room! Another one of my friends has a two bedroom house, that is gorgeous for slightly more than what I pay. Let's just say I will be happy when this lease is over. Also, I make about $25 less a month than my rent is. Thank goodness I get an extra $3000 a term as a stipend, and I have some savings. Needless to say. I'm finally living the poor college student life. It's a good experience though. It forces me to budget and really look at where I am spending my money.
On an entirely different note, I know that mom and grandma Loretta will ask about boys. So, I suppose I can indulge the two of you. The boy I met on the first day I was here who gave me a tour around campus is still in the boyfriend running. He's very sweet, and we are good an entirely different things. We compliment each other really nicely that way. If we never date, he will still be a really great friend. He's one of those friends that you never really want to lose. It may seem weird that I can tell that already, but it just fits.
I went on a trip to Prescott last weekend and represented the U of A at a fair celebrating AZ's centennial. Shelby (one of my new friends) and I had some people really excited about girls in science and telling us how proud they are of us. It was pretty cool. We were one of the few science groups with girls, and we were the PhD students in our groups and all of the boys were undergraduates. It was pretty funny to have a group where the smartest people in it were the ladies. It was a nice change to be respected over a man in science.
As for classes, I really like my math class this term. It's taught a lot differently than what I am used to. Usually the professor will lecture for the entire period and take questions, but this is totally different. We watch the lectures online and do our homework before each class. The homework is never turned in, but instead we discuss it in class. Then we do challenge problems and have a mini quiz at the end of each class. I really think I learn better this way.
I still haven't found a research group yet. So far, I have talked with five groups and three of them will not work out. But only a handful of my class has actually found a group yet, and most those that have did their undergraduate here and already knew which professor they wanted to work with. Fear not. I will find a group as soon as I can. I have to tutor until I do. It's super boring. I'm pretty sure they do this as motivation to find a group. haha.
Wow, I have been awake for an hour and a half, and I have yet to start homework. As I have my first midterm on Tuesday, I'm going to cut this shorter than planned. Look forward to pictures, hopefully this weekend I will get most of them up.
No comments:
Post a Comment