Saturday, August 14, 2010

My first post on my first blog. EEK!

I have a few friends who blog, and it seems to work really well for them.  So, I decided to give it a try.

This Friday is my 21st birthday!  I feel like it would be a little more exciting if I were back in the states rather than in Europe (where I am currently drinking a very tasty German beer).  I'm still not sure what I am going to do.  I could go bowling or go to a bar.  I think I might end up going to the Irish Pub in town to have dinner and drink a bit.  But, of course, I have to get my free birthday drink at the campus bar. lol

Work is going quite well.  I've been given a difficult talk of building a Raman spectrometer from scratch.  Basically it's a fancy microscope that looks at vibrations of molecules.  It can identify exactly what's under the microscope just by looking at the different vibrations.  Cool right?!  I'm almost done.  I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the camera.  However, now that I'm using the correct computer program (oops!), things are going a lot smoother.  Hopefully I'll be able to achieve my goal of having Raman data before my birthday.  *fingers crossed*


When I'm not working a lot of my time has been spent studying for the GRE Physics exam.  I've been studying about 3 hours a day for it.  I've only gotten through classical mechanics though.  So, I still have a ways to go.  I should start Electricity and Magnetism tonight.  My worst subject.  *groan*

Lately, I've also been looking at potential graduate schools.  I realized how far behind I am at the college search.  It takes so much work!!  So far I have two that I am for sure applying to and a list of about 200 maybes.  I really need to work on narrowing that list down!  I know I want to go into optics, and that's a start.  I also know the countries I want to be in (US, UK, Netherlands). Canada wouldn't be terrible either.  I just hope I never get one of those accents.

I made a delicious potato soup tonight for dinner.  I can't wait until tomorrow when Alex gets back and can try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment