Monday, August 30, 2010
Gluten-Free! Day 1
So, I learned something while being able to drink here. Beer may taste good, but my body does NOT like it. It gets me drunk about four times as fast as any other alcohol. Normally it's the other way around. After talking with Eric, he said that his girlfriend Ali has the same problem because of her celiac disease. Apparently 1/3 of Americans have some kind of intolerance to gluten. So, I did some research for about a week. Turns out I have almost every single side effect of celiac disease including the sensitivity to dairy. Now, I am gluten and dairy free for two weeks. That's supposed to be long enough for your intestines to start to heal and you to notice a difference. Plus, it's kind of fun coming up with new things to eat. If this does work, it looks like I may have a few illnesses I've been diagnosed with over the years suddenly disappear. Wouldn't that be nice?! I kind of hope it works, but at the same time, I will miss my bread. But I did buy gluten free bread and cookies and pasta. There's a tone of gluten free stuff out there! There's even flour! So, I can still bake. It's Day 1. I've had one meal, soy milk and chocolate corn flakes. Yes. You heard right. Chocolate corn flakes. And they're tasty! I'll try out my gluten free bread with my dairy free hazelnoot paste for lunch and some applesauce. Mmmm. I'm not even hungry, but that sound delicious already. I just realized I used the Dutch spelling for hazelnut. Ha! I guess I'm getting used to this country and the language. Watch out when I get back! I already now quite a few Dutch words!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment