Wednesday, November 17, 2010

This past week

The general GRE had its up and its down.  I got a 780 on the math which is almost a perfect score. yay!  But I got a 440 on the Verbal which kind of makes it look like I don't speak English.  But, I looked at averages and the average for physical sciences from 1994-1997 is 484.  And the average for engineering is 460.  So, I don't feel too bad.  I'll have to address it in my applications but that's ok.  That reminds me.  I have an official list of schools I will be applying to:

Caltech
Colorado School of Mines
University of Colorado, Boulder
North Carolina State University
University of Arizona
Steven's Institute of Technology
University of Montana, Bozeman
University of Twente

As for the physics GRE.  I will know how I did at the end of December.  So, stay tuned for that.  I feel like I answered less questions than I did on the practice exams, but I feel more confident in my answers.  Brussels was nice, but extremely rainy.  I got soaked all the way through on my way to the hostel.  The hostel was kind of weird too.  I got locked in to the building in the morning at around 7am and I had to find a cleaning lady to let me out.  Then it was raining again.  So, I was soaked all the way through for the whole test and for a total of 12 hours.  My body was not happy.

When I got back to Amsterdam I made a delicious dinner and cranked the heat up and watched the only channel in English that was available.  That was when my hard drive crashed on my computer.  Now my lap top doesn't even recognize that it has a hard drive.  I've only had this lap top for a little over a year!  Now it's not under warranty.  So, Alex is going to open it up and try to fix it.  Hopefully it can be fixed.  I've bought two lap tops from best buy and both of them have broken shortly after the warranty expires.  Maybe I will go somewhere else next time, or buy an extended warranty.  humph!

I got some cool results at work the last couple of days.  I've been looking at live cells.  We can  look at them with the old part of the set up and highlight the fat droplets in them.  Then we use my part of the set up to show the difference between the fat, the nucleus, the inner cell and outside the cell.  It was pretty cool.  We're even using my part of the set up to differentiate between different types of fats.  It may sound weird, but it's cool.

Now our laser is getting fixed for the next couple of days.  So, I am writing.  I started my honor's thesis today.  And I will probably start writing my applications soon!  And I'm going to write a proposal for the choir. 

I'd add the pictures from my trip, but no lap top means slower pics.  Maybe I'll borrow Alex's computer soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment